General Magnet Information
The Magnet Programs are Court-Ordered voluntary integration opportunities available to students in grades K-12 living within the LAUSD boundaries.
All integration programs, including Magnet and PWT, were established by Court Order to address the five harms of racial isolation:
- Low Academic Achievement
- Low Self-Esteem
- Lack of Access to Postsecondary Opportunities
- Interracial Hostility and Intolerance
- Overcrowded Conditions
All students living withing the LAUSD boundries, including English Learners, Special Education and Gifted/Talented are encouraged to apply. To apply for Vintage Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math Magnet or any other magnet school, you must complete the Choices application that is online at echoices.lausd.net or in the CHOICES brochure and ensure that it is postmarked or received at the LAUSD offices downtown by Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 5:00 P.M. Go to echoices.lausd.net if you missed the application window and would like to complete a "Late Application". The "Late Application" will be available online beginning on February 1, 2018.
Blank CHOICES brochures are available at Los Angeles City Public Libraries, LAUSD schools, and Educational Service Centers and PCSB Offices and the District's Headquarters. Please remember that paper applications must be postmarked by Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 5:00 P.M.
If a student is continuing in the same Magnet Program at the same school next year, DO NOT complete a new application. However, if the child’s name was on a waiting list last year, or you wish to change from one Magnet to another, or if your child will be matriculating to the next school level, a new application must be submitted to be eligible for selection.
- For more information about the LAUSD Magnet program, please click on the LAUSD echoices webpage.
- For achievement data from the California Department of Education on any public school, please click on the cde.ca.gov website.
- For other data about public schools from the California Department of Education click on https://www.caschooldashboard.org/#/Home